Tuesday, November 8, 2011

sick Claire

Claire got really sick, she woke up at midnight one night with a temp of 105! It immediately came down to 103 when she had some water. Then after an hour it was 98. And she fell back asleep around 3:30am. Then two days later she had spots on her, but they didn't bother her. Then that night she complained of her feet really hurting her. And we thought, oh no chicken pox. Jason's mom reaffirmed that it looked like chicken pox. I later learned at Claire's 3 year checkup that it may have been hand, foot, and mouth (hfm) (cuz that is where the bumps were) we didn't notice any in mouth though (besides that she ate very little). And she did get a few on her cheek (which is unusual for hfm). So it was either a mild case of chicken pox, because she was immunized or hfm. Adults don't usually get hfm. And Jason and I both had chicken pox as kids, so we were good.

But we are very blessed because Trevor didn't get sick! (Babies don't immunized until 12 months old for chicken pox) I was watching a movie I took of Claire getting Trevor to laugh, it was taken the day before she had her really high temp (usually have virus 7-21 days before the bumps with chicken pox and 3-6 days before hfm bumps). Well in the movie she is all up in his face...which he adores. But before the bumbs show up, it is spread just like any regular cold. I know that God was looking out for us! Once the bumbs appear, any thing she touches is infected. So we worked hard to make sure she didn't touch his toys or his hands. It did take alot of work to keep her away from him, but it was worth it. Claire absolutely adores her baby brother and any time I set him down, she is usually up in his face/ smothering with kisses. So I held my big 17lb boy alot that week! And with my limited diet (for nursing Trevor), needless to say it was an exhausting week!
 

The doctor did say to go ahead and let Trevor have try rice cereal a week before he turned 6 months, which happened to be the same time day Claire got bumps. And now he is sleeping through the night!

 
How did we survive the week:  Lots of Little Einsteins, Jason would go into work late to put bandaids on her wrist and she would wear footed pajamas all day. (to prevent itching), and we put a couch in the way of the kitchen to kinda keep her out.  I did manage to finish sewing her Halloween costume- when Trevor was sleeping- in hopes of her getting better by then.  
And in week she was all better!  You can see some red dots, but they aren't raised anymore! (In a beautiful dress from grandma)... up next Hallowen!
 

1 comment:

Shaunel said...

poor girl, and what a chunker of a baby to hold that much! You must be a strong mama :)