This post is for moms with bedtime woes- hopefully it helps someone with a little munchkin like mine.
I was so grumpy today... poor kids-They were even so cute
today. Claire had a tea party in her
room and Trevor joined (while I scoured a book- looking for parenting/ sleeping
answers). They played so well together
for like 10 minutes- never happens. Trevor was crying when I went in there to
check on them. Claire had put 4 of her shirts
over his head- lol- but the last one was
a pair of shorts- covering his face- lol- so funny!- I wish I would have gotten
a picture- but I wanted to free Trevor quickly.
Claire has taken two
hours to fall asleep the last two nights. Tuesday night- Jason had YMs till
9:30pm Trevor, was recovering from drinking cows milk from his cousins sippy at
around 5pm, so he was up until 2am that night, while Claire was up till 9:30pm
(No they don't even share a room).
And last night (Wednesday)
she pulled a new trick. She opened her
window, pushed out the window screen and was standing on the flower grating-
Gee that girl! Where does she think of
these things or even think about pushing out the screen- I never knew how to do
that at her age. So today there were
alot of lectures. I pulled out an old
sleeping book that worked for Claire as a baby(but would have killed Trevor if
I listened to it at all for him and his tummy problems). Well it worked again for Claire! Thank goodness!
So here is what we
were doing for her sleep routine. Starting at 7:30pm- Go bathroom, brush teeth,
talk about scripture stories with Gospel Art kit
pictures, pray, read books (10 +
minutes)- get her to lay down while reading books, sing songs , kisses, good night. Then we had a system where we would take down
a number if she got out of bed. If there
were no numbers up- then we took a stuffed animal toy away. This worked well at first as she was
motivated to keep her toys with her in bed.
But then she stopped caring about her toys or book or anything it
seemed- no matter what I threatened her with... no computer time, no swinging
on Trevors baby swing, no going to the library.... nothing worked anymore- we
lost all power last night. And that is
also when she climbed out the window. So
we couldn't even lock her door- we had to watch her to make sure she didn't do
it again.
So today as I read this book, Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child I
realized that our system- though it attempted to allow her get out a few times-
in hopes to give her some leeway- the problem with this is that it also set her
up for getting out of bed. And the best
time to calm her down and get ready for sleep is when we are with her reading
books and singing songs. The book talks
about using different tactics besides just reading books to help calm kids
before bedtime:
slow down activity
close physical contact
Nestle
or snuggle in bed
cuddle
up with child on a chair
Quiet voices
sing or
hum a song
tell a
family story
chat
about the day
say good night to everyone /everything in
the room
The other important thing the book made me remember is that
talking (or yelling) when they keep getting out of bed will only reinforces the
bad behavior because instead of sleeping they are getting more attention from
you. This totally makes sense for Claire-
she would rather be awake, although it makes me really frustrated, she would
rather do that than to go to sleep. The
girl loves attention. But what 3-year
old doesn't. So if they do get out of
bed then silently, and with no emotion put them back to bed gently. You can explain before bedtime-"this is
a new rule. No talking after we say good
night. So if you get out of bed, that is
why mommy will not talk to you. "
The book also had 4 rules to put on her wall ( suggested for
3 year olds- and to decorate it to make it look really cool)
At bedtime we...
1. Stay in bed
2. Close our eyes
3. Stay very quiet
4. Go to sleep
(And if she follows the rules, then she gets to pick a
treat- candy in a clear bowl above the fridge- the next morning)
She did amazing the first night! She never got out and she gets a treat in the
morning! I am so proud of her! I am so happy that we have a new way to help
get her to sleep. I am not feeling powerless and admittedly
embarrassed (to the neighbors ) if any saw her parading on her flower grate at
9pm last night. LOL.
I had a good book and
a comfy chair parked right outside her door fully expecting to be putting her
to back bed alot. (Some parents had to
do it 75 times- I remember those days when she first went to a bed- that was a
crazy choice- looking back I realize you can potty train without them being in
a big kid bed) Today we worked really hard to make sure she was well fed, got
gotten lots of energy out, and then at 7pm we started the bedtime routine. I have been waking her up at 7:30am so she
can say good bye to Jason before he leaves for work, but she still didn't fall
asleep until 9:30 pm (with bedtime starting at 7:30pm those nights)
I know things won't always work out this perfectly, but it
sure gives me hope that Jason and I can have a little more relaxing time
together!
Update: These things only worked for a week or so. I have stopped waking her up and let her sleep in. I now put her to bed about 12 hours after she wakes in the morning (usually 7:30- 8:30am). Instead of giving her a warning that if she gets out three times then we take something away- we take something away the first time she gets out of bed. We have tried being on a different level of the house from her, when she is trying to fall asleep. Not as easy than just walking out of her room to have mom and dad's attention. The thing that helps her stay in bed alot of times, is saying do you want to earn back (a certain stuffed animal) monkey then you have to stay in bed for 5 minutes... Her staying in bed for any length of time is usually enough to get her to calm down and fall asleep. And we have started putting a drop of lavender oil on her feet.
Update: These things only worked for a week or so. I have stopped waking her up and let her sleep in. I now put her to bed about 12 hours after she wakes in the morning (usually 7:30- 8:30am). Instead of giving her a warning that if she gets out three times then we take something away- we take something away the first time she gets out of bed. We have tried being on a different level of the house from her, when she is trying to fall asleep. Not as easy than just walking out of her room to have mom and dad's attention. The thing that helps her stay in bed alot of times, is saying do you want to earn back (a certain stuffed animal) monkey then you have to stay in bed for 5 minutes... Her staying in bed for any length of time is usually enough to get her to calm down and fall asleep. And we have started putting a drop of lavender oil on her feet.
No comments:
Post a Comment