Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Winter time 2yr old activities

So today made me realize how much supervision my little munchkin needs. Every time I turned my back it was something new. Some days she is really good at entertaining herself. Today was not one of those days...lol. Lets see what did she do this morning, destroying a Valentines present for Jason- I was doing a countdown to Valentines with love quotes decorated a little (that I thought was hidden pretty well- I am sure Jason still doesn't know where it is) (luckily she came to show me her handiwork before destroying all of them). I have been letting her go upstairs to get stuffed animals out of her room, to help lessen tantrums when she realizes she didn't get a particular new favorite friend. I thought it was fine cuz I have our room and the other extra room doors locked. Well she found the kleenex in the closet and was emptying out two boxes and starting to destroy them.... lovely- it drives me nuts when she does things that waste money! Then after cleaning that up, I went to bathroom and locked myself in to calm down and was cleaning the bathroom a little. When I came out, she had a chair pushed up the fridge and was filling a cup up with water and dumping it on the ground (there was a nice little pond surrounding the fridge when I came out of the bathroom). Some other things, include squeezing a stick of butter that was softening on the counter and pushing her chair up to the sink grabbing a dirty cup to fill with water out of dish that was soaking and drinking a huge gulp (before mom saw)... gross. Oh did I mention using chalk to decorate the tv- which is not horrible- just annoying since it is becoming a regular thing. I hope some of these things give you a good laugh... then it will have helped someone in some small way! I think this post from my old RS president, really helped me to 'be victorious', and control myself and keep the yelling to a minimum. Something I will probably always be working on!!! I just have to keep telling myself that even if she doesn't listen to me (and I repeat myself over and over) and she has to do lots of timeouts at least she is not sassy to me (yet...)

So today's post is about ways that I should have used to entertain her, so this day didn't happen!

Online Storytime | Book Videos, Interviews & Podcasts from B&N Studio - its great cuz the player will play one book and then go on the next one - perfect for my little non mouse user.- I use this to get in some good scripture study time- or nap if I didn't sleep well- or both!

Sea World Webcams

Youtube  playlist of kids songs

starfall.com- when they are a little older to use the mouse

Looking at the Visualizer on iTunes while her fav kids songs play. Used while I get some cleaning done

Playing with play-do and knife and fork and different cookie cutters each day- she request this once a day.

Baking together- makes me feel good for making something yummy- Some fav recipes we have tried recently:
Wheat Crackers - I just used all whole wheat flour, but I have a stone wheat grinder which makes my wheat as fine a the white stuff (I am going to add try it with adding some yummy seasonings, besides just salt... though it was good when I didn't add salt on top :))
Chewy Granola Bars- I have tried other granola bars but they dry out too quickly after making them- this recipe stays chewy and yummy without adding too much sugar! (ohh yeah, I only use 1/2 C of brown sugar and its plenty sweet)
Excited to try this one- Play dough cookies and make them look like this for a fun Valentines day treat
And whole wheat graham crackers are on the docket for tomorrow (recipe from wheat grinder recipe book)

Fun kid crafts- We have made a few already and hope to try others soon-
Kazoo- the rubber band with wax paper lasted 2 seconds, but we decorated our with markers which was fun- and it still is a good noise maker without the wax paper
Snowman - I didn't glue the beads down and just let her keep trying new decorations- until she decided to shove a bunch of beads in her mouth- luckily there was no choking!
Penguin- so excited to try this soon... I was going to get kid scissors and let her try to cut out shapes I draw... but not sure how that will work...

What do you do to keep kids entertained during winter?

Side note: Its funny, even though this morning was not fun, she has been an angel this afternoon- thus a post from me :)

4 comments:

Aleena said...

HAHAHAHA Oh Lauren I am right there with you! Memphis can drive me CRAZY sometimes with all the ways he seems to get into EVERYTHING! 2 year olds are great and very creative. Sometimes it amazes me what he figures out on his own. AND guess what! They will just teach their younger siblings:) Kayzee watches Memphis and I can just see those two being trouble makers together. OH JOY! Good luck girl!

vdhfamtng said...

Ah, the empty Kleenex boxes! That really brings back the memories let me tell ya. Don't sweat it, we've all been there and done that with kids. The good news is that tomorrow is another day and hopefully it will be better! And trust me, it won't take long until all this stuff is hilarious to you.

Kristi said...

Thanks for the online story time idea. Davey loves it. Except he only wants to watch the Polar Express. I do a little mini pre-pre school with Davey and another girl. You are most welcome to come sometime. I have it at my house on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 11 am - 1pm. You could kick your preggo feet up on my couch and let Claire, hopefully, be entertain for 2 hours. Let me know! :)

Shaunel said...

Ha ha. Looking forward to it ;) Good luck!